Home  >>  Training to be an EP  >>  EP training in England

EP training in England

What’s involved

Training to be an EP is usually a five year commitment. You’ll train full time for three years and then need to commit to working in England for two years.

Year 1

The first year of training has the highest amount of studying at university, and you can expect lectures, seminars, project work and student-led teaching. Most universities that offer the training also ensure that you have some form of work-based placement in the first year as well.

Years 2 and 3

In year two and three of training, more of your time will be spent working as a Trainee Educational Psychologist (TEP). In recent years, delivery of Educational Psychology services has changed dramatically and while many TEPs work in a Local Authority for years 2 and 3, you may have your work placement with a Social Enterprise or a charity. On some occasions, placements have been completed overseas.

What you need to get on a course

To apply for an EP training course, you need to have one of the following:

  • A psychology degree (2:1 or above is preferable)
  • A conversion course
  • A psychology based Masters degree

The important thing is that your previous Degree or Masters qualification needs to provide Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership to the British Psychological Society.

You’ll also need at least 1 year of full-time experience working with children, young people or families in:

  • Educational (e.g. school, college)
  • Health (e.g. Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)
  • Care (e.g. Children’s social work)
  • Community settings (e.g. Children’s centres)

Having at least 1 year of full time work experience in any of the above fields is essential. It is also important to demonstrate to universities how you have applied psychology to real world situations in order to improve outcomes for children and their families. Some universities would also look to find evidence of leadership and working beyond your standard job role.


EP training in England is usually funded by the Department for Education and employers. The training scheme covers the costs of course fees for all three years and a tax-free bursary in Year 1. In years 2 and 3 your placement provider will pay you a bursary or a salary (though the salary option seems to be rare). Current bursary levels are either:

  • £15,950 (training outside London)
  • £16,390 (training inside London)

Some universities do offer self-funded training places, but it’s best to contact them directly to find out more information about this.

Where training happens

There are 13 universities in England that train EPs: